Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thursday

Dylan is really moving forward socially in school. Even though this may not seem like a big deal, it is for him. He was telling me today about how he put a crayon wrapper on Connor's head and Connor laughed. I was proud that he was initiating interaction with other kids and expressing his personality (being goofy)... even if he isn't using words yet with the other kids, it's still a big step. He's also a lot more confident about nodding yes and no. Before he would just ignore them or grunt because he was uncomfortable. Now he's comfortable nodding. I really think he's at the point where he wants to speak, it's just hard to go from not speaking to speaking - I think he fears that it'll draw a lot of attention to him and everyone will make a big deal about it. I'm hoping that first grade will be a fresh start for him and he wont feel like he's known as "the kid who doesn't talk".

Dylan has a spelling test every Friday. I have no idea where he came up with this, but today he asked if I could write down one of the words on a piece of paper and put it in his pocket so that he could look at it during his test! I said "Where did you come up with that? Did you see someone do that before? Did you ever do that?" He said he never saw it before (or did it), he just came up with it. I don't think he knew that it was "wrong"- I think he may have been saying it to be funny, but of course I told him that it would be cheating.

Today I walked into the room just in time: I heard Dylan say to Cam "I have to tell you something..." This is when I saw both boys wearing nothing but underwear, Dylan bent over and Cam pressing his ear up to Dylan's butt. All I could say was "NO!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dylan is sure coming along.....
WHAT?! Cam "listening" to Dylans butt?....Now I've heard everything....! Tell Cam I'll get him a radio to listen to. Love A-ma